Whatcom County Fire District 4 was formed under the authority of RCW 52 of the State of Washington in the early 1950’s. For many years, each of the three stations had it’s own chief. Today, the district is united under the direction of Chief Ron Anderson and responses are unified throughout the District.
The fire district is approximately 36 square miles serving a population of approximately 9,000. The department responds to over 3,000 calls per year. The fire district intersects the City of Bellingham on portions of the south and west. Fire Districts 1 and 21 form the boundary on the north side. Lake Whatcom forms the remainder of the south boundary, and lands protected by the Washington State Department of Natural Resources bounds the east side.
The fire district is agricultural in nature with an urban growth area on the south and west boundary. Almost 90% of the non-federal land in unincorporated Whatcom County is dedicated to forestry and agricultural uses. The next largest category of use is residential, with 5.4% of the land.
You must be logged in to post a comment.